Summer institute: Northwest Indian Language Institute

Scott McGinnis sm167 at umail.umd.edu
Mon Jun 10 03:22:30 UTC 2002

The Northwest Indian Language Institute (NILI)

July 15 - August 2, 2002

Department of Linguistics
University of Oregon

Since 1998 the Northwest Indian Language Institute has offered training and consultation in language teaching, linguistic analysis and computer support to Native tribes of Oregon and the Northwest (California, Oregon, Washington, Montana) who are attempting to develop programs to document, preserve, and revitalize their Native languages.

This year's Institute will focus on communicative language teaching and language assessment. Workshop time will be devoted to immersion language teaching.

NILI 2002 Course Descriptions

Linguistics

Introduction to Linguistics for Teachers and Students of Northwest Languages - 3 credits

Tim Thornes

Students will learn useful tools for understanding the unique structures of  NW languages and develop ideas for sharing these tools with others. This course is designed to give an overview of sounds, words and their formation, and the structure of basic sentences in NW languages. Special topics in the grammar of NW languages will be addressed as needed.

Students of the course are asked to bring any language materials they would like to study. These may consist of technical materials written by and for linguists. The course will help students extract information from such technical materials that they can use to teach and learn their language of heritage.

Intermediate Linguistics: Special Studies in NW Languages - 3 credits
Scott DeLancey and Tim Thornes

Intermediate Linguistics will reinforce and build on the basic concepts of sounds, grammar, and linguistic analysis presented in the Introductory Linguistics course.  We will look in more detail at sound systems and

morphology, paying special attention to the languages of the students in the class.

Students will work on projects individually or in groups on some aspect of their language of heritage. Projects may include working with an Elder speaker on a story or a unit for language teaching, working with written materials, particularly narratives written in the student's language of heritage, or other projects. The course will help students explore different techniques for learning more about their language of heritage.

Advanced Linguistics - 3 credits
Scott DeLancey

Our focus will be reading and grammatically analyzing written texts (stories or other published material) in your language.  The main goal is to learn more about how the grammar of the language works, and what

all of the prefixes, suffixes, and other complexities of Native languages are for.  We will also work on learning how to use materials written by linguists for other linguists.

Teaching Methods

Introduction to Teaching Methods - 3 credits
Janne Underriner

The objective of this class in to introduce teachers to proficiency-oriented instruction and communicative teaching methods such as Total Physical Response (TPR), the Natural Approach so teachers can incorporate these methods into their teaching. We will learn how to write lesson plans, discuss curriculum development, write and teach lessons to our fellow classmates and design/develop the materials needed for teaching your classes. The lessons will be complied in a booklet and shared with your classmates. The purpose of this class is for you to learn about teaching methods, but equally important, to bring lessons home that are ready to teach.

I will stress the importance of creating culturally based curriculum.

Lesson plans will be based on the level criteria outlined in the NW Indian languages Proficiency Benchmarks. You will design 10 lessons, create materials for 2, and teach at least 2 lessons.

The 5 'C's' of Language Education - A hands-on Approach to Teaching Methods - 3 credits
Judith Fernandez

The focus of this class is hands-on learning and teaching. We will cover the 5 'C's' of language learning: Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons and Communities. These goals will be incorporated in our lessons and curriculum. We will focus on the Communicative aspect of language teaching and learning. We need to move beyond the notion of teaching 'words', therefore, we will not create lessons or teaching units that teach word lists, but rather create inspiring and fun units that teach speakers to  communicate. This is a very practical course and regardless of whether your program is immersion or if you teach 1/2 hour a day, you will greatly benefit from the practical aspect of this class.

Students will create 10 lesson plans, make materials for 5, and teach at least 3 classes.

Assessment - 3 credits
Carl Falsgraf, Janne Underriner, Facilitators

We will look at various assessment tools. We will discuss what types of assessment will work best for our programs. We will focus on how to develop meaningful, culturally relevant and appropriate assessment tools for our language programs and students.  We will discuss and determine our goals of assessment and determine if one general assessment plan will serve the entire community, which then will be individualized by each Tribe to each language, or whether many individual assessment measures need to be created. Students will work in groups to create two 'tests' for each language or Tribe.

Computer Assisted Language Learning

Computer Assisted Language Learning - 1 credit
TBA

These classes will start with the basics of how to use the computer as a tool in language teaching. Projects will be determined by your skill level and interests. The focus of this class is to familiarize you with the computer and give you skills to create teaching materials. For those of you with advanced skills, you may focus on a special project or topic you want to develop.

Special Session - CALL Projects
Jeff Magoto

Jeff will work with some of you on special projects with students. He will meet with students a few times in the late afternoon to discuss CALL projects. You can discuss your ideas with him in advance through e-mail.

Sessions on Immersion Teaching
Guest speakers from the community

We will offer a few sessions on the benefits of and the how-tos of immersion language teaching and learning. You will have a chance to discuss immersion language teaching strategies with immersion teachers and we will look at various program models.

Other Requirements

Week 2 - Attendance is expected at the following community events:

1.      July 22-26, we will meet with Native American High School students at Lane Community College's Rites of Passage for Native American students program to present language lessons and discuss language issues.

2.      Dr. Vi Hilbert - Opening Guest Speaker for the Oregon Summer Bilingual Institute (OSBI)

July 28, 2002  5:00 (Salmon Dinner) - 6:30 - 9:00 (Keynote)

3.      Dr. James Crawford - OSBI Keynote speaker.

Monday July 29, 12:30 - 1:30.   Topic: The Politics of the English Only Movement

TUITION and FEES

Tuition: $945.00

Computer lab fee:  $ 50.00

Total:    $995.00

Housing - Board and Room - dormitory housing is available in single or double occupancy. Please contact Janne Underriner for details.

Contact:           Janne Underriner, Director

                        Northwest Indian Language Institute (NILI)

1290 University of Oregon

                        Eugene, OR  97405-1290

                        541-346-3199

                        jlu at darkwing.uoregon.edu

                        babel.uoregon.edu/nili/

If you have any questions regarding the Oregon Summer Bilingual Institute or would desire information about its program schedule, contact Janne Underriner.