Call for contributors: ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE MIDWEST (various Native American languages)

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Jun 11 14:11:22 UTC 2002

Dear Colleagues:

I am delighted with the response from many of you to my earlier
request for authors for entries to the section on Language in the
forthcoming Encyclopedia of the Midwest (www.allmidwest.org). The
Encyclopedia, organized by scholars at Ohio State, will be published
by IU Press. The language section will contain the follow entries (#
of words given in parentheses):

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE MIDWEST
CONTENTS:  LANGUAGE

Overview (3000): Dennis R. Preston

Varieties of English:
The Pronunciation of English in the Midwest (2000): Charles Boberg
The Dialect Vocabulary of the Midwest (2000): Luanne von Schneidemesser
The Dialect Grammar of the Midwest (2000): Timothy Frazer
Language and Society in the Midwest: English and Gender, Social Class,
        Profession, Ethnicity, and the Rural/Urban Division (2000):
        Michael Linn
African American Language in the Midwest: The Structure of the
        Language (1000): Walter Edwards
African American Language in the Midwest: Ways of Talking (1000):
        Geneva Smitherman
Midwestern Tales: Language Practices and Norms in English Storytelling
        of the Midwest (2000): Barbara Johnstone