FYI: WINDTALKERS-related television show and newspaper article

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Jun 18 16:49:00 UTC 2002

The following taken from Hal Schiffman's language policy list at Penn -
with thanks to Wang Shuhan for the tip.

History vs. Hollywood
Windtalkers

Monday , June 17 11:00 PM-12:00 AM (check listings)

History Channel historians Steve Gillon and Geoffrey Wawro join host
Josh
Binswanger for a look at the WWII blockbuster movie "Windtalkers".
Featuring
interviews with director John Woo and Nicolas Cage, our panel discusses
Hollywood's portrayal of Navajo code talkers during WWII. The code
talkers
used their native language as a basis for a secret code used by
Americans
during battle. Surviving code talkers share their experiences and
address
how accurately the film portrays the real history. TV PG

I've not seen this, but I've seen other shows in the series and it is
very
well made - actually one of the best history TV series I've ever seen,
often
very critical. I think the fact that they focus on the "true stories" of
war
veterans allows them to say critical things that otherwise would never
fly
in TV land.

Also, there was this article in the NY Times about the "true" story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/15/movies/15CODE.html