Response to inquiry: Teaching composition to heritage learners

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Mar 12 21:27:49 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Ana Roca [mailto:rocaa at fiu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 4:08 PM

In the specific area of Spanish, I would suggest reading journal
articles and chapters written by such professors who write in the area
of  Spanish as a heritage language. Many of them have addressed topics
of teaching composition and other pertinent maters of language
instruction.

Many older but pertinent as well as newer articles have appeared in the
MLJ, Hispania, Foreign Language Annals, ADFL, and as book chapters. Here
are some of the names of scholars in this area that anyone who is
interested in the topic of Spanish as a heritage language in the US,
would want to have read:

Guadalupe Valdes
M. Cecilia Colombi
Maria Carreira
Ana Maria Schwartz
Margarita Hidalgo
Cecilia Pino
Richard Teschner
Rebecca Benjamin
John Gutierrez
Andrew Lynch
Florencia Riegelhaput
Ricardo Otheguy
John Lipski
Barbara Medino
Frances Aparicio
Steve Krashen (has an interesting  monograph on heritage language
education
                        that deals with the topic of writing)

And there are many more folks I can't think of at this moment. My
apologies.

Sincerely,
Ana Roca
Modern Languages