Call for papers: Symposium About Language and Society - DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS 15 JANUARY 2003

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Nov 6 17:45:27 UTC 2002

SYMPOSIUM ABOUT LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY--AUSTIN
Short Title: SALSA 2003
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Date: 11-Apr-2003 - 13-Apr-2003

Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2003

Web Site: http://www.utexas.edu/students/salsa/index.shtml
Contact Person: SALSA Organizers
Meeting Email: utsalsa at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Linguistic Subfield(s): Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

SALSA is pleased to announce its 11th annual meeting to be held APRIL
11-13, 2003, at the University of Texas at Austin. We encourage the
submission of abstracts on research that addresses the relationship of
language to culture and society.  SALSA 2003 keynote speakers include
Richard Bauman (Indiana University), Penelope Eckert (Stanford
University), Lisa Green (University of Texas at Austin), and Karen
Tracy (University of Colorado at Boulder).

The SYMPOSIUM ABOUT LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY--AUSTIN is pleased to
announce its 11th annual meeting to be held APRIL 11-13, 2003, at the
University of Texas at Austin. We encourage the submission of
abstracts on research that addresses the relationship of language to
culture and society. Desired frameworks include but are not limited
to:

LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY
SOCIOLINGUISTICS
ETHNOGRAPHY OF COMMUNICATION
LANGUAGE AND IDENTITY
SPEECH PLAY, VERBAL ART, AND POETICS
LANGUAGE AND MEDIA
POLITICAL ECONOMY OF LANGUAGE
LANGUAGE AND SOCIAL INTERACTION
DISCOURSE ANALYSIS
LANGUAGE VITALITY
LANGUAGE SOCIALIZATION
GESTURE IN TALK AND INTERACTION

2003 KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
Richard Bauman, Indiana University
Penelope Eckert, Stanford University
Lisa Green, University of Texas at Austin
Karen Tracy, University of Colorado at Boulder

Papers delivered at the conference will be published as a special
edition of the Texas Linguistic Forum. Speakers will be allowed 20
minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Papers will be
selected based on the evaluation of an anonymous written abstract,
which may not exceed 600 words. This year, we will accept only
electronic submissions.

SUBMISSIONS

Please email your abstract to utsalsa at uts.cc.utexas.edu, Subject:
SALSA 11 Abstract. Please include in the following order:

1. Title of the paper
2. AuthorâEuro(tm)s name
3. AuthorâEuro(tm)s affiliation
4. Address, phone number, and email address at which the author wishes
to be notified
5. A 600-word abstract*
6. A short 200-word abstract* for publication in the conference program
7. Equipment needs (e.g., overhead projector, computer projection, etc.)

*Please send the abstracts as a Word attachment as well as in the body
of the email message.

**Visit the SALSA web page for submission guidelines and conference
details: ** http://www.utexas.edu/students/salsa/index.shtml

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is JANUARY 15, 2003. Late
submissions will not be accepted, and we cannot accept papers that are
to be published elsewhere. Notification of acceptance or rejection
will be sent in mid-February 2003. Registration fees will be
approximately $20 for students and $40 for non-students. Completed
papers must be brought to the conference to be included in the
published proceedings.

Contact us at:
SALSA
University of Texas at Austin