FYI: 2002 Endangered Language Fund grant recipients

smcginnis at nflc.org smcginnis at nflc.org
Sun Nov 17 20:49:22 UTC 2002

Twelve ELF Grants Awarded in 2002
The Endangered Language Fund is pleased to announce its grants for
2002.  There were some coincidences in the number this year.  We had
50 applications, 25 from U. S. institutions and 25 from others.  We
were able to fund 12 in total, and half were from U. S. institutions.
As you will see, much of the work (even for the U. S.-based
proposals) happens to be outside the U. S. this year.  The rich and
relatively undescribed Amazonian area received some deserved
attention.  Five proposals deal with South American languages, while
four are based in North America.  The others bring in Europe, Asia
(Siberia) and the Pacific (Papua New Guinea).  Once again, it was a
difficult task to select such a small number from such an impressive
pool of proposals.  It is only thanks to the generosity of our
members that we are able to offer these grants at all.  So, thanks to
all of you who have donated; please visit our website for more
information on joining the ELF
(http://www.ling.yale.edu/~elf/join.html).

Valerio Luciani Ascencio (Kawki) - Preservation of the Kawki
language.

Susan Doty (Creek Tribe)  - Muskogee Creek language traditional song
preservation.

Thomas McIlwraith, Regina Louie, Angela Dennis and Sally Havard
(Iskut First Nations) - Talking to the animals: Tahltan-language
animal stories and forms of address.

Maximilian Viatori (U. California, Davis) - A practical Zapara
phonology and morphology.

Rosalind Williams (Splatsin Tribe) --  Creation of Secwepenc Wordlist
2002.

Naomi Nagy (U. New Hampshire) - Preserving Faetar in the school.

Chris Beier and Lev Michael (U. Texas, Austin) - Iquito language
documentation project.

Gessiane Lobato Picanço (U. British Columbia) - Documentation of
Kuruaya, a moribund language of Brazil.

Nikolai Vakhtin (European U. at St. Petersburg) - Siberian Yupik
Eskimo conversation book.

Pamela Bunte and Nikole Lobb (California State U., Long Beach) -
Using San Juan Southern Paiute narratives in a language
revitalization program.

Connie Dickinson (U. Oregon) - Tsafiki dictionary project.

Doug Marmion (Australian National U.) - Wutung language maintenance
and literacy development.

The Endangered Language Fund
Dept. of Linguistics, Yale University
P. O. Box 208366