Comments RE Call for response: Tipoff from Becky Kline RE:article in AMERICAN EDUCATOR

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Oct 22 20:12:51 UTC 2002

From: Maria Carreira [mailto:carreira at csulb.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 12:00 AM

Thank you, Brian, for your very thoughtful response.

I agree entirely with your first point. To your second point I would add that
in addition to its enriching effect, music serves other more practical
functions which should be mentioned in any argument on behalf of this
discipline. For example, I believe that music can have therapeutic effects on
people suffering from various physical and emotional problems. I am certain
that music serves other important functions in society, but I leave it to more
knowledgeable people to supply these. The point is that disciplines have value
for many different reasons and all such reasons should be clearly articulated.

Regarding your third point, I agree that we don't HAVE to justify our
profession, but I believe that it is in our own best interest as well as in the
interest of society to do so. Clearly, the NBA does not have to justify itself
because market forces are operating in its favor: young men (and some not so
young either) all over the U.S. would love nothing better than to grow up to be
professional basketball players. Unfortunately, the MLA does not enjoy a
similar level of popularity. For this reason, if we believe that the foreign
languages are important, we should do our best to attract the best and the
brightest students to our field (by the way, the American Chemical Society, the
American Society of Civil Engineers, and other professional groups do this, why
shouldn't we?).

Finally, I disagree that foreign language instruction, as it is currently
structured, serves to bring into focus issues of cognition and the language
faculty. A cursory book at the best selling Spanish language textbooks, for
example, reveals that these topics do not figure prominently (at all?) in first
year courses. Rather, these very important topics are generally confined to
linguistics courses. Maybe it would be good to consider including some mention
of these issues in beginning language courses.

Kind regards,

Maria Carreira, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Spanish,
California State University, Long Beach