Welcome (new or continuing) to heritage-list!

McGinnis, Scott smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Oct 23 16:20:32 UTC 2002

Good day, all,

As promised during the closing portion of the Heritage Language in
America conference this past weekend, all of the conference participants
are now subscribed to heritage-list - as many of you already were prior
to the conference. While we know that some of you feel inundated with
your e-mails, we ask for your patience for at least the next several
weeks, as this is the most efficient means by which we can disseminate
information following up on the conference and regarding future plans
for the Heritage Languages Initiative.

If, however, you feel you can absolutely not have your name on another
e-mail list, contact me directly and we can make alternative
arrangements for getting information out to you. If it's of any
consolation, for most weeks, there are no more than 10 (and more
frequently more like 5) postings per week on heritage-list.

Because this is a moderated list, all postings to it have to be made by
me - so if you want something posted to the list, you can just send it
to me. Please also note that because it is moderated, if you just hit
your "reply" key, the message will only go to me, not to the entire
list.

Also, because this is meant to be a list that focuses on issues relevant
to heritage language education, preservation and policy, please be
selective in your posting. For example, if you have a teaching position
in a language that calls for an individual with heritage-specific
skills, I'd be happy to post it.

In some cases, news or inquiries come from individuals that are not
regular subscribers to the list that have asked me to post something. In
those messages, I will include the e-mail address or other contact
information for that individual so that you can contact him or her
directly.

Again, apologies if this is truly an unwanted electronic burden, and let
me know if it is - and thanks to ALL of you for your contributions to
and interest in heritage languages, both in America and throughout the
world.

Best,
s.

Scott McGinnis
Executive Director
National Council of Organizations of Less Commonly Taught Languages

Associate, LCTLs
National Foreign Language Center
7100 Baltimore Avenue, Suite 410
College Park, MD 20740
Voice: 301-403-1750 x35       Fax: 301-403-1754
E-mail: smcginnis at nflc.org OR sm167 at umail.umd.edu
WWW: www.councilnet.org OR www.nflc.org