Workshop announcement: Indigenous Languages in the Courts - DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION 19 FEBRUARY

smcginnis at nflc.org smcginnis at nflc.org
Sat Feb 15 04:56:13 UTC 2003

With thanks to Lois Feuerle for the following tip....

Thought you might be interested knowing about an upcoming Continuing
Education event we have planned for our certified interpreters.

In Oregon we have a large number of migrant farm workers from Mexico, many
of whom have an indigenous language as their mother tongue (total estimated
in Oregon: 20,000 - 30,000), and often the interpreters of these languages
have Spanish rather than English as their second language, which
necessitates using relay interpreters.

This month we flew an interpreter who speaks Trique San Juan Copala up to
Oregon from Mexico for a murder trial. I had organized our Continuing
Education event to take place while he was here in the USA, but as luck
(read: the rhythm of the courts) would have it, the defendant took a plea
and
the interpreter departed for Mexico long before our CE event on Feb. 22nd!!

Given your area of interest, I thought that I would let you know about
this rather unusual program we have on the agenda.

Regards,

Lois
.
Lois M. Feuerle
Manager,
Court Interpreter Program
Oregon Judicial Department

MEMORANDUM

TO: Oregon Certified Court Interpreters and Others Interested in
Interpreter Issues

FROM: Lois Feuerle, Manager
      Court Interpreter Certification Program

DATE: January 28, 2003

RE: Continuing Education Workshop for Oregon Certified Court
Interpreters: Indigenous Languages in the Courts / Relay Interpreting

Time:  Saturday, February 22, 2003; 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Place:  Multnomah County Courthouse, 1021 SW Fourth Avenue, Portland, OR
97204

We are delighted  to announce that the Office of the State Court
Administrator (OSCA) has arranged a full-day Continuing Education Workshop
on Indigenous Languages in the Courts / Relay Interpreting. The five
presentations that make up this program will address various aspects
relating to the increasingly frequent need for interpreters of indigenous
languages in the Oregon Courts.

MORNING:

"Problems, Pitfalls and Solutions When Working with Clients Speaking
Indigenous Languages"
Julie Samples, Esq., a graduate of Lewis & Clark Law School, has been the
Coordinator of the Oregon Law Center's Indigenous Farm Worker Project since
2001. This project is funded by the Ford Foundation, the Spirit Mountain
Community Center and the PacifiCorp Foundation.

"Indigenous Languages in the Courts"
Santiago Ventura, a Mixtec speaker, came to the US from Oaxaca as a farm
worker at the age of 15. He earned his GED at Chemeketa Community College
and a B.S. in Social Work from the University of Portland. He has been
active as a community organizer both in Mexico and in the USA. He is
currently a legal assistant at the Oregon Law Center.

AFTERNOON:

"Streamlined Orientation and Training of Non-professional, Skilled
Bilingual Speakers of Indigenous Languages: A Practical Necessity"
Max Christian left for Mexico in December 1979 to work on a "short term"
project. After working in various capacities for a Mexican non-profit he
returned to Portland 21 years later, obtaining master level certification.
He has been a full-time OJD staff interpreter since November 2001.

"Identifying and Meeting the Court's Language Needs for Indigenous
Languages"
Normandie Nunez, an 11-year OJD veteran gathered valuable experience in the
Criminal Calendaring Unit. She has been an Interpreter Scheduler in
Multnomah for the past 1=BD years and has the challenging responsibility
of locating interpreters in a wide variety of languages.

"Relay Interpreting: A Solution to a Difficult Problem --- Common Issues
and Hands-on Exercises for Interpreters"
James Comstock is the Interpreter Supervisor in Marion County and a master
level interpreter. Prior to coming to Oregon to take a staff position with
JD in April of 2001, he worked for 6 years as a freelance Spanish
interpreter covering courts in eastern, central, and southern Idaho.

                                                - 2 -

A total of 6 CE credits will be awarded for participation in this workshop.
Three of these 6 credits will be non-language-specific and 3 of these
credits will be Spanish-language-specific.

Preference will be given to Oregon Certified Interpreters and class size
will be strictly limited. Enrollment will be on a first-come, first-served
basis. There will be no walk-ins and no refunds possible.

The cost for  the full-day workshop will be $50 for all participants who
submit their completed registration forms and checks for the full fee by
February 15, 2003.

After February 15 the cost of this workshop will be $65.

For this reason we encourage registrants to take advantage of the
pre-February 15 "early bird special" price by registering by the February
15, 2003 deadline.

Unfortunately, due to budget cuts and lack of support staff no
registrations will be accepted after February 19, 2003.

Please note that no refreshments or lunch will be provided.

If you wish to attend this workshop, please complete the  attached
registration form and return it together with your registration fee to:

                        Office of the State Court Administrator
                        Financial and Administrative Services Division
                        1163 State Street
                        Salem, OR 97301-2563

To ensure that your registration check is properly credited, please make
absolutely sure to write Object Code 8902 on the memo line on the face of
your check.

We look forward to seeing you on February 22!

REGISTRATION FORM:

CONTINUING EDUCATION WORKSHOP

Interpreter Information:

Name

Address

City/State/Zip

Telephone:  W                          H

Certification ID #

Languages

Registration Information:

        Indigenous Languages in the Courts / Relay Interpreting