Performance (movie) announcement: I SPEAK ARABIC - NYC, 25 March 2003

smcginnis at nflc.org smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Mar 5 05:39:01 UTC 2003

You are invited to attend the New York City premiere of the documentary
film I SPEAK ARABIC.

This film is an opportunity to enter into the world of young people who
speak a language other than English in their homes and communities. It is a
snapshot of Arabic heritage language speakers who face the same challenges
that all immigrant families face--how to balance the new with the old and
come out whole.

Diana Scalera has been a Spanish teacher in the NYC public schools for more
than 13 years. She has worked with many different heritage language groups
to help them to maintain and enrich the languages that their families
speak. This film documents what she has learned about the talents and needs
of these young people and what our society needs to do to help them thrive.

I SPEAK ARABIC will also be shown on April 12 at the Northeast Conference
on the Teaching Foreign Languages, Omni-Shoreham Hotel, Washington DC.

New York City Premiere
Tuesday, March 25, 2003 7:00 PM
High School for Environmental Studies
444 West 56th Street
Sixth Floor Auditorium
New York New York

If you would more information about the film, please contact me at
dscalera at rcn.com.

Diana Scalera
High School for Environmental Studies
444 West 56th Street