Request for assistance: Acquisition of mixed-category items

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Mon May 5 18:57:00 UTC 2003

DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. Contact the originator
of this message, Silvia Sobral, directly at s-sobra at uiuc.edu.

Hello all,

I am currently working on my doctoral dissertation with Spanish-English
bilinguals and learners of Spanish as a foreign language, and one of
the areas that I plan to investigate relates to the use of gerunds in
non-periphrastic constructions (with nominal and adjectival value) instead
of the Spanish equivalents (infinitive and relative clauses respectively)
in the Spanish of bilinguals. What seems to be the issue here is a contrast
in the categorial values of the gerund in Spanish and English, and I have
not been able to find much relevant literature.

Can anybody suggest any literature on the acquisition/knowledge/use of
mixed-category items (English gerund, Spanish infinitive)? Studies of
first and second language acquisition would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
Silvia Sobral