Conference information: Heritage-related sessions at ACTFL 2003

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Sat Nov 15 01:06:00 UTC 2003

With thanks to Ana Maria Schwartz.....

Hello, all,

The follwing sessions are heritage-related and cover various languages.
The list is probably not complete; please excuse any omissions and
mistakes, I just skimmed the program, and let us know what I've missed!

I also want to note that there are many, many sessions on teacher
preparation, INTASC and NCATE, the ACTFL New Visions project, and the 1st
National Assessment of Education Progress in Spanish ("The Nation's Report
Card"). I would encourage everyone to go to those sessions and ask
how/where heritage languages fit into their agendas. We need to advocate
for the inclusion of heritage languages in all of these projects.

See you at ACTFL!

Ana Maria Schwartz
Associate Professor
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics
University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)
aschwart at umbc.edu

Friday

1:30-2:45
#91 (Plenary Session) Heritage Languages in America: Yesterday, Today, and
Tomorrow. Conv. Ctr. 114 (all heritage languages)

5:45-7:00
# 171 Learning Through Community Service: Strengthening Heritage Learners
and Teacher Training (Japanese) 112-B

#176 Arabic Heritage Learners: Challenges and Opportunities 201-B

Saturday

8:15-9:30
#221 Fundamental Issues in the SNS Milieu (SNS-SIG sponsored session) A 1)
SIG Business Meeting, 2) "In their own words: A further examination of
#91 (Plenary Session) Heritage Languages in America: Yesterday, Today, and
Tomorrow. Conv. Ctr. 114 (all heritage languages)

9:45-11:00
#265 Theory and Practice: The Role of language Acquision in the Case of
SNS (SNS-SIG sponsored session) 1) "Understanding second dialect
acquisition: Theoretical issues", 2) Spanish instruction in the Zone:
Stuctured
interactions between heritage and second language learners 3) "The
relationship between speech perception and orthography: The acquisition of
Spanish stress patterns", 112-A.

#267 Service Learning as a Means of Developing a Caring Disposition in
Preservice Teachers" (service learning course situated in the Latino
community), 113-A.

#283 Developing Heritage/Community Language Programs in Public Schools
(Khmer, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese), 302.

1:30-3:00
#321 Developing a National Education Policy for Languages, 114.

1:30-2:45
#328 Implementing a Spanish for Spanish Speakers 203-B

4:30-5:45
#347 I Speak Arabic: A Film About Heritage Speakers, 105-B.

#351 Building on Our Strengths: Springfield's Model (Spanish), 107-B

6:00-7:15
#388 Mainline Meets North Philly: When I Was Puerto Rican 103-B

#413 Catering to the Needs of Heritage Students - What is Implied to Meet
This Challenge, (Chinese),300.

Sunday

8:30-9:45
#425 Building Pride, Creating Communities: Heritage Speakers, poetry and
action, 103-C

#438 Language Attitudes in the Evaluation of Heritage Language Writing,
(Spanish) 202-A

#437 Facilitating Collaboration Between Heritage and Non-Heritage Speakers
Studying Spanish, 112-A

#445 New Movement of Japanese Language Education as a Heritage Language in
New York, 303-B