Request for advice: Heritage parent support group

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Sat Nov 22 19:31:00 UTC 2003

DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE! Responses should be sent
directly to its originator, Shirin Razani, at razani at mail.shayda.com.

I am writing to ask if anyone on the list-serv can help me with ideas.  I
have written to you all before and received great advice.

My kids speak Persian and English and I am trying to raise them to be
bilingual and bilcultural here in the U.S.  They attend a private school
that is full of kids who come from various backgrounds.  Many of these
children speak another language at home (Russian, Korean, Turkish, Arabic,
German, Hebrew, etc.)  Many parents have the similar issues and challenges
of all heritage language speakers.  I am thinking of starting a Heritage
Language support group in the school so that we can share ideas and maybe
even see how the school can work with the many cultures and languages
present on its campus.  If anyone is part of such a support group or has any
insight or ideas that might contribute to the success of our group I would
appreciate your insight!  Thank you all once again.

Sincerely,

Shirin Razani
Chicago, IL