Job: Lushootseed Language Program Developer (Washington State)

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at umd.edu
Wed Aug 3 19:20:06 UTC 2005

Given the 30 June deadline date for applications, this
position may already be filled -- but FYI nonetheless...

THE TULALIP TRIBES
JOB DESCRIPTION

We are a Tribal heritage language program with the
responsibility for preserving and revitalizing a language
whose only speakers are our staff members.  All of us have
learned what we know of Lushootseed as adults in an academic
and workplace setting, and the task we now face is
developing our own spoken fluency.

Our program employs eight teachers, an internet media
developer, and a director.  We teach classes at the levels
of preschool through Grade 5, community conversation classes
and a series of 100- and 200-level classes under the
auspices of  Northwest Indian College.  We have the written
skills to originate Lushootseed  texts, and we do
translations of stories from and into Lushootseed. At this
point, we are looking for someone to help us become better
speakers and to increase our success in producing speakers.

The position involves both administrative and teaching
duties.  Our situation is unique, because we have no
community of speakers in which to immerse ourselves and from
whom to receive correction by example.  We have the dual
tasks of preserving a standard and transcending that
standard when we have to in order to achieve spoken fluency.

The Tulalip Reservation is located about thirty miles north
of Seattle.  Drive time is about forty-five minutes, and
both coming and going the trip is in the direction opposite
to rush-hour traffic.

JOB TITLE:  Lushootseed Language Program Developer

TRIBAL DEPARTMENT:  Lushootseed Program

EMPLOYEE CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt

JOB SUMMARY:  Work with Lushootseed Program administration
to provide staff training in language teaching methods and
curriculum development, both through classes and through
individual advising based on observation of teaching.
Assist in implementing Washington State First People's
Language and Culture certification program.  Assist in
language planning for the community, for Marysville School
District schools serving Tribal children, and for the growth
of the Lushootseed Program.  Assist with academic advising
for staff development.

EMPLOYEE REPORTS TO:  Lushootseed Program Director

EDUCATION REQUIRED FOR POSITION:  M.A. in TESOL/Applied
Linguistics/Adult Education/Curriculum and Instruction or
closely related field.

SPECIFIC SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR POSITIONS:

1.   Documented experience in educational administration or
teacher training

2.   Documented experience teaching foreign or second
language at any level from early childhood to adult.

3.  Documented experience in curriculum development working
with Washington State Education codes (EALRs, GLEs).

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:

Valid Washington State driver's license, proof of automobile
insurance, dependable vehicle for traveling within the state.

SPECIFIC DUTIES PERFORMED:

1.  Assist program administration in developing strategies
to help staff members improve their Lushootseed fluency.

2.   Work with staff to improve their Lushootseed teaching
(instruct in teaching methods, observe teaching and advise).

3.  Work with staff to improve curriculum design and to
document fulfillment of State codes.

4. Assist in creating professional development plans for
staff members.

5.  Assist program director in working with State Board of
Education and First Peoples' Language Committee to monitor
teacher certification progress; assist in reporting process.

6. Assist program director in work with Marysville School
District and local principals on Lushootseed Program concerns

7.  As directed, conduct studies on program effectiveness,
language acquisition and other concerns.

8.  Assist in grant application preparation.

9.  Attend classes in Lushootseed.

10.  Comply with Lushootseed Program SOPs:  maintain
excellent attendance and punctuality, excellent management
of work time, cordial relations with staff.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:  2080 hours per year (40 hours a week,
12 months a year). One-year renewable contract. The job may
involve evening and occasional weekend activities and travel
out of town for conferences and training.

PAY RANGE:  negotiable according to experience and
expertise, in the range of  $23.96 to 26.43 per hour.

BENEFITS:   Health and dental coverage through Tribal health
plan; 401K plan, sick leave on accrual basis; all national
holidays plus two weeks' paid annual leave.

TO APPLY:  By June 30, 2005, submit resume and names of
three references to:

Program Developer Search
c/o Dr. Toby Langen
Tulalip Lushootseed Program