Inquiry: Suggestions for research methodology on college Chinese HL learners

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at umd.edu
Mon Apr 3 21:00:15 UTC 2006

DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO RESPOND THIS MESSAGE! Responses should
be send directly to its originator, Xiaorong Li, at
xlm at andrew.cmu.edu

I am Xiaorong Li and I am a Ph.D. student of Second Language
Acquisition at Carnegie Mellon University. I am very
interested in heritage language learners and I am now
working on my dissertation under Dr. Dick Tucker's
supervision.

What I am interested in doing for my dissertation is to
identify the special needs of heritage learners in improving
their grammatical competence and what activities would be
useful during the revision process of compositional writing.
I would be very grateful if you could provide me some
insights on how I can pursue this topic and what methodology
I should use to pursue this topic.

I am also writing to ask if you have data on community based
language schools, college level heritage Chinese programs or
the overall language program for heritage learners in the
U.S. I am also wondering if you could give me some guidance
on how I can collect data on the existing language programs
designed for heritage learners in the U.S.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Xiaorong