[HERITAGE-LIST] Request for assistance: Resources for establishing program in Teochew (Chinese dialect)

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at umd.edu
Sat Jun 23 18:16:42 UTC 2007

DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE! Contact its originator, Ty Eng Lim, directly at tlimgaginang at GMAIL.COM.

Greetings all

Having just been added to this list, please tell me if the following request is out of line with the purposes of this list-serv.

I am currently in the process of applying to graduate school. My research/practical aims are to gain a solid footing in linguistics and pedagogy in order to gain the skills and credentials to establish a program to teach Diojiu (Teochew), a Chinese dialect both online and offline here in the US and elsewhere for heritage and L2 learners. I am a native speaker of the language and also the President and Program director of a nonprofit "Gaginang", that promotes Diojiu culture, language, and identity. The language is spoken by and estimated 30 million people worldwide, with at least 500,000 speakers here in the United States.

I'd like to ask for anyone's advice on graduate programs, people, ideas, and resources that you think may benefit my aims.

Much thanks,
Ty Eng Lim

Gaginang
President