[HERITAGE-LIST] TCCRISLS 2010: Conference on L2 acquisition of Chinese at Teachers College, Columbia University

TCCRISLS Teachers College tccrisls at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 3 15:59:26 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues:

On October 1 and 2, 2010, the Applied Linguistics program at Teachers
College, Columbia University will be hosting a conference focusing on *the
acquisition of Chinese as a second language*. There will also be a 2-day
pre-conference, *professional development workshop on Task-Based Language
Teaching (TBLT)* on Sept. 29 & 30, focusing on Chinese pedagogy. We would
like to extend our welcome to all researchers and teachers in the field, and
we hope many of you would join us in this exciting opportunity for
professional and academic dialogues.

For more detailed information about the conference and proposal submission,
please visit our website at www.tc.edu/tccrisls.

Thank you very much for your attention. We're looking forward to seeing you
in October 2010!

Best regards,
Yayun Anny Sun
Co-chair, TCCRISLS Organizing Committee
Teachers College, Columbia University
Email: tccrisls at tc.columbia.edu
Website: www.tc.edu/tccrisls

--------------------------------------

THE FIRST TEACHERS COLLEGE, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY ROUNDTABLE IN SECOND
LANGUAGE STUDIES (TCCRISLS)
Second Language Acquisition of Chinese
October 1-2, 2010

Call for Proposals

An official language of the United Nations, Chinese is the most widely
spoken first language in the world, extending well beyond the People's
Republic of China and Taiwan. The interest in the teaching and learning of
Chinese has grown rapidly worldwide over the last decade. According to the
People's Daily, there are now 40 million second language learners of Chinese
around the world. In the United States alone, there are 1,200 elementary and
secondary schools now offering Chinese as a foreign language in their
curriculum. However, this vigorous and staggering learning interest is as
yet severely underserved by a lack of research-based understanding of the
nature and process of learning, and equally, by a lack of understanding of
what kinds of pedagogical conditions may improve the efficiency and
effectiveness of learning.

This first TCCRISLS provides a forum to address issues specifically related
to the acquisition of Chinese as a second language. To that end, we welcome
proposals in the following areas:

•- Learners' processing of input
•- Learners' output-based learning
•- Learners' response to pedagogical intervention
•- Learning across linguistic domains
•- Characteristics of learner language and learners' developmental
trajectories
•- Learners' context of acquisition: classroom, naturalistic, immersion, and
study abroad

Proposal submission deadline:
April 15, 2010. Notification by May 15, 2010.

Format of submission:
Details available on our website at www.tc.edu/tccrisls.
(Both English and Chinese submissions are welcomed.)

Address for questions/submission: tccrisls at tc.columbia.edu

Presentation format:
•- Individual papers: 20 minutes long with a 10-minute discussion period
•- Poster presentations: Displayed for a 2-hour block of time. Opportunity
for one-on-one discussions
*
PLENARY SPEAKERS:
Dr. Nick Ellis (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
Dr. Boping Yuan (University of Cambridge)*

A two-day pre-conference, professional development workshop on *TASK-BASED
LANGUAGE TEACHING (TBLT)* will be held on Wednesday, September 29, and
Thursday, September 30.
For more information and to register, please see our website at
www.tc.edu/tccrisls.