[HERITAGE-LIST] Course offering (BC, CA): Aboriginal language revitalization - REGISTRATION DEADLINE 13 FEBRUARY

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at umd.edu
Sat Feb 7 21:42:26 UTC 2009

Announcing a learning opportunity in language preservation and revitalization!

Please share with colleagues:

Methods for Immersion Language Teaching and Learning

LING 187: Special Topics in Aboriginal Language Revitalization, 1.5 Units

Dates: March 16 – 21, 2009

Times:  9am – 4 pm, Monday through Saturday
Location: En’owkin Centre, Penticton, BC

Tuition:  $458.10 tuition plus an $80 program materials and text fee

(Tuition subject to additional international student fees, when applicable)

Please register by: February 13, 2009 (late registrations accepted if space permits)

To register in this learning opportunity please visit http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/forms/crm/calr-reg.aspx

Course Description
Immersion formats create highly effective environments in which endangered aboriginal languages can be taught and learned. This six-day intensive course for language teachers and others involved in language preservation and revitalization work, provides an introduction to immersion teaching and learning principles and techniques, and explores three practical immersion methods in order to create a foundation for practical applications in a variety of situations and programs.

Topics include the nature of full immersion in real world learning, and modifications required for delivery within structured delivery environment. Three immersion models will be discussed by resource people involved in their development and delivery:
       1) elementary school immersion model utilizing total physical response (TPR) methods
       2) a modified adult classroom immersion model, utilizing associative/cognitive method
       3) a small group Master/Apprentice model in which fluent speakers converse with apprentices through full immersion

Instructor
Maxine Baptiste, B.A., M.A. (linguistics), is Language Director at the En'owkin Centre, Associate Professor in Aboriginal Education at the University of British Columbia Okanagan. She is a Ph.D. candidate in Language, Reading and Culture at the University of Arizona. Research interests include conversation analysis, language revitalization, language policy and planning.

What Past Participants are Saying:
"The course has given me ideas and plans which will be used at home and in my community."

"The course opened my eyes in terms of how to put myself in a language learning situation".

"I valued the emphasis on practical application to present situations in the community."

"It was excellent. It has opened my eyes."

This course is part of the Certificate program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization.  Credit and non-credit registration is available.

For more information, please contact:

Anissa J. Paulsen
Program Coordinator

Certificate Program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization
Division of Continuing Studies
University of Victoria
PO Box 3030 STN CSC
Victoria, BC  V8W 3N6

ph:  (250) 721-6119
fax: (250) 721-8774

Certificate Program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization:
www.uvcs.uvic.ca/calr