[HERITAGE-LIST] Request for support (interest): Showing of SPEAKING IN TONGUES in Seattle, WA

Scott G. McGINNIS smcginni at UMD.EDU
Fri May 1 19:14:24 UTC 2009

May 1, 2009

Dear World Language Leaders,

Happy May Day!  A few weeks ago I sent out a notice about this new film being shown at the San Francisco Film Festival.

San Francisco filmmakers Marcia Jarmel and Ken Schneider look at four children in language immersion programs in "Speaking in Tongues."

Read more... http://www.speakingintonguesfilm.info/

See the quote from ACTFL
"Provide[s] valuable insight into the issues and challenges that schools across America are facing as they seek to educate children for the world of the 21st Century."
—Bret Lovejoy, Executive Director, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages

A lot of people expressed interest in bringing the film up to Washington. Thanks to Jackie Mighdoll from Sponge for making contact with Adam Sekuler at Northwest Film Forum to make arrangements for a showing.

The NW Film Forum is interested in hosting a showing of the new documentary "Speaking in Tongues" in Seattle this year. The film would air at their theater in Seattle on Capitol Hill, which holds about 120 people. Ticket prices would be $9 general, $6.50 seniors, $6 members of NWFF. We're looking at some dates in September. Were trying to gauge interest at this time and see if some people would be interested in bringing groups (especially if we could provide a group rate).

The non-profit Northwest Film Forum, Seattle's home for the film arts, is located on Capitol Hill at 1515 12th Ave (between Pike and Pine). Find out more online at http://www.nwfilmforum.org.

Interested?  Please fill out the survey so we can suggest date(s) to the NWFF:
http://internationaledwa.org/forms/speaking_in_tongues_survey.htm

(Wouldn't it be amazing if we could fill the theater for several showings!?)

Thanks,

Michele

Michele Anciaux Aoki, Ph.D.
World Languages Program Supervisor
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
Old Capitol Building
PO Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504-7200
Phone: 360.725.6129