[HERITAGE-LIST] Summer program: Certificate Program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization

Scott G. McGinnis smcginni at UMD.EDU
Wed Jun 23 11:51:23 UTC 2010

Certificate Program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization
A partnership of the En’owkin Centre and the Department of Linguistics and the Division of Continuing Studies at the University of Victoria

Summer Institute at University of Victoria 2010

Join us at the University of Victoria to build your knowledge and capacity in language revitalization this summer through stimulating courses in a supportive environment!

Open to anyone interested in preserving Indigenous languages. Begin your studies in the Certificate
program by completing the institute or take courses on an individual basis for credit or non-credit.

Language Learning and Teaching in Situations of Language Loss
August 3 to 7, 2010 (LING182, 1.5 units)
An analysis of principles of language learning and language acquisition in situations of language loss,
and an examination of appropriate ways in which a range of formal and informal approaches to language
teaching can be utilized in Aboriginal community settings. Course topics include forms of language
acquisition, teaching and learning strategies, how strategies are related to community needs and goals, and
the role of community and community members in teaching and learning.

INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Bernice Touchie, raised in a First Nation community, has worked as an instructor and Principal for the Ucluelet First Nation. In the past, she has been involved with the coordination of language revitalization programs in British Columbia for the Ditidaht and Ucluelet First Nations and the Ha-Ho-Payak Society in Port Alberni, and has managed multi-tribal language revitalization for Nuuchah-nuulth Tribal Council.

Please register by July 5; late registrations accepted if space permits.
Fee: $576.61 (includes a $100 materials fee)

Comments on the course from past participants:
“I think this course will motivate anyone who wants to revitalize their language.” “Very inspiring.” “I love this course.” “I plan to implement these teachings in my community – whenever possible.” “Lots of ideas and materials for lesson planning.”

Field Methods for Language Preservation and Revitalization: Documentation and Recording
August 9 to 14, 2010 (LING183A, 1.5 units)
Fee: $576.61 (includes a $100 materials fee)
This practical course explores the planning strategies, protocols, and methods of data collection, analysis,
and organization that are appropriate for field activities associated with language preservation and
revitalization. Through classroom-based learning and hands-on activities, you will focus on:
• elicitation methodologies,
• audio recording,
• digital file management,
• strategies for community involvement,
• protocols,
• ethical and intellectual property issues.

INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Strang Burton has worked with the Stó:lo– Nation language program for over 14 years, working with elders and staff to produce textbooks, a digital dictionary, interactive games, online courses, and multimedia storybooks. Strang has also worked with production projects run by four other BC endangered language programs, and has lectured and taught extensively on effective documentation methodologies and media production for endangered language programs.

Please register by July 12; late registrations accepted if space permits.
Fee: $576.61 (includes a $100 materials fee)

Field Methods for Language Preservation and Revitalization: Project Development
August 16 to 21, 2010 (LING 183B, 1.5 units)
Build your capacity with planning strategies, protocols, and methods of data collection, analysis, and
organization appropriate for field activities associated with language preservation and revitalization. You
will focus on strategies for community involvement, project planning, protocols, ethical and intellectual
property issues, use of technology in language documentation, techniques for language study with
elders, interview and data recording methods, documentation and database management, and
approaches to sharing information.

INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Strang Burton has worked with the Stó:lo– Nation language program for over 14 years, working with elders and staff to produce textbooks, a digital dictionary, interactive games, online courses, and multimedia storybooks. Strang has also worked with production projects run by four other BC endangered language programs, and has lectured and taught extensively on effective documentation methodologies and media production for endangered language programs.

Please register by July 12; late registrations accepted if space permits.
Fee: $576.61 (includes a $100 materials fee)

Comments on the courses (LING 183A and B) from past participants:
“Just magnificent.” “Above and beyond. Excellent course and delivery.” “Excellent.” “I will definitely go home and use methods.” “It will help me a great deal.” “This course gave me more energy in regards to my language.” ”It will help me document information where hopefully years from now it will be very beneficial to future generations.”

Fees and Accommodation
The fees listed above do not include accommodation or meals. Information about on and off campus accommodation options is available on the Program website at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/languages/register/calr/accommodation/ or by calling 250-721-8395.
Please note: International students will be assessed international tuition fees.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER
Please call 250-721-8457, email calr at uvcs.uvic.ca<https://exch.mail.umd.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx> or visit www.uvcs.uvic.ca/calr/<http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/calr/>