[HERITAGE-LIST] 7th Heritage Language Research Institute: Registration Closes April 1

Scott G. McGinnis smcginni at umd.edu
Mon Mar 4 15:47:03 UTC 2013

The UCLA National Heritage Language Resource Center sponsors an annual research institute which aims to support our principal mission of developing the research base for heritage language education.

The Center invites applications for the Seventh Heritage Language Research Institute<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, “Heritage Speakers and the Advantages of Bilingualism.” Directed by Professor Maria Polinsky (Harvard), the institute will take place from June 17-21, 2013, at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Details on faculty<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, presenters<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, and information on logistics<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx> can be viewed on our website. Registration<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx> is now open but will close on April 1, 2013.

The Seventh Institute will focus on the linguistic, cognitive, and sociocultural advantages enjoyed by heritage speakers. Pedagogical approaches that aim to build on the bilingual knowledge of these speakers will be highlighted, as well as experimental methodologies in language sciences and sociolinguistic aspects pertaining to heritage language speakers.

Applications are invited from language instructors, linguists, and researchers from other fields, including doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows, whose current focus involves heritage language teaching and/or research. Limited funding will be available for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows only.
Please share this information with your faculty and graduate students. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Claire Chik
chik at international.ucla.edu<https://web-mech.mail.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>