sound replacement in loans

Damien Hall halldj at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 16 19:19:11 UTC 2007

Dear Wolfgang

I don't have any other specific examples of sound replacement within loans to
give you, but I have one question.  I don't know about any variety of Albanian,
but it appears from Wikipedia that modern Albanian at least has a voiceless
palatal fricative but not a voiced pharyngeal stop.  So (if the Caucasian
Albanian you're looking at is similar) the situation you're talking about is
one where the language replaces a phoneme it has in its native inventory with
one that seems to appear only in loanwords.  Could you confirm (to me
personally, if not to the whole list, if the question is naïve) whether CA had
the same or a similar consonant inventory to modern Albanian?

If it is indeed the case that the language is replacing a phoneme it has in its
native inventory with one that isn't in the native inventory, I really don't
have any parallels to suggest!  Is that the unusual case that you're asking for
parallels to?

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania