sound replacement in loans

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Dec 16 20:17:06 UTC 2007

I understand the copyright constraints you are operating under, but I'm afraid that probably most of us would need a little more information in order to attempt to answer your query.  If the example you have in mind is, say, polysyllabic and there are several attractive phonetic matches between your projected source and recipient words, the replacement of "sh" with "%" (the pharyngeal stop) would pose an interesting problem.  If, however, the posited source and loan have approximately the form you give an example, e.g., VshV to V%V, then I might tend to question whether it is really a borrowing or merely a chance resemblance.  Even if the semantic match is exact, the VCV is pretty short for us to be certain.

The only case I can think of that is even close is a change within a single language:  15th century Spanish "sh" (written "x") evolving into modern Spanish /x/ varying dialectally with /h/.  The velar or laryngeal is at least a little closer, but is never a stop.

Best wishes,

Robert L. Rankin
University of Kansas