sound replacement in loans

Marie-Lucie Tarpent mltarpent at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:44:32 UTC 2007

I don't know anything about the languages in question, but how recent are the loans?  If they are fairly old, could "sh" and "%" both have arisen from a common source which was neither?

Also, the Spanish change "sh"> [x] is documented also in a French dialect (Poitou/Vendée) and also in some Canadian French (e.g. Manitoba).  My guess is that it arises from a retracted, even retroflexed pronunciation of the "sh" which produces an auditory effect similar to that of [x].  In these dialects both "sh" and "zh" have become velar fricatives, voiceless and voiced respectively.

Getting back to the 2 languages considered, if "sh" is indeed the original in the donor language , it might have undergone extreme retroflexion in the borrowing language, and then be interpreted as a consonant involving the extreme back of the mouth, all the way to the pharynx.  The development of the manner of articulation and the glottal state of this new consonant could be secondary to that of the new place of articulation.

Marie-Lucie Tarpent
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, Canada