sound replacement in loans

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Dec 18 07:28:09 UTC 2007

Dear friends and colleagues,
many thanks for your so helpful comments on my little query concerning a
possible 'relationship' between [sh] and [%] (= voiced pharyngeal stop)
in loans. Let me briefly clarify a bit the problem: The language in
question is Caucasian Albanian (CA). Till recently, practically nothing
had been known about this language spoken in Northern and Western
Azerbaijan between roughly 300 and 900 AD. It is said to have been the
'official' language of the Christian Kingdom of (Caucasian) Albania
(300-700 AD) also used in religious service. In 1996, Zaza Aleksidze
from Tbilisi identified the lower layers of two Palimpsest manuscripts
found in the St. Katharine monastery on Mt. Sinai  (1975) as containing
text in the so-called Caucasian Albanian script. So far, this script was
known only fragmentarily (some very brief inscriptions and a Medieval
alphabet list): The scirpt differs totally from Old Armenian and Old
Georgian, although it clearly belongs into the 'same' context). The two
manuscripts include some 120 pages with CA texts in their lower layers
that, however, are heavily erased and mostly extremely difficult to
read. Preliminary studies done by Zaza Aleksidze supported the
hypothesis that we have to deal with an early variant of Udi, an
Southeast Caucasian language nowadays spoken by some 5.000 people in
Northern Azerbaijan and in the diaspora (basically Russian and Armenia).
    In 2003, Jost Gippert (Comparative Linguistics, U Frankfurt) and I
have started to decipher and interpret the lower layer of the
Palimpsests. The bulk of the work is now done (it took us more than four
years to decipher the sound values, to restore the texts, and to
translate them (the CA Palimpsests will be published in several volumes
of /Monumenta Palaegraphica Medii Aevi/, Series Ibero-Caucasica at
Brepols (Tournhout) in 2008). The texts include fragments of a early
Christian lectionary and fragments of the Gospel of John. In sum, the
texts document roughly 10.000 CA word tokens (that gives us about 1.000
lexical entries). The language has /nothing/ to do with Balkan Albanian:
The resemblance of the two ethnonyms is coincidendal and due to the
Ancient Greek interpretation of the local name *Alwan (as albanioi). CA
clearly is East Caucasian, a so-to-say 'aunt' of Modern Nizh Udi. Thus
the Palimpsest for the first time allows to describe the earlier stage
of an East Caucasian language (probably 500-600 AD). For more details
see Gippert & Schulze 2007. Some remarks on the Caucasian Albanian
Palimpsest. In: /Iran and the Caucasus/ (11) 2007:201-212 and
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/Cauc_alb.htm (Attention! Page is
not updated!).
    So far the background. Now let me briefly come back to my original
question. As I have said earlier: I have to respect Jost Gippert's share
in the copyright of the CA data and hence cannot give concrete examples.
But let me 'paraphrase' them: In the CA texts there are at least three
loans from language A that are marked for a [sh] in the donor language:
CshVC, CVrshVC, and CVrshVCVC. In CA, the loans yield the form CV%VC,
CV%VC, and CV%VCVC respectively. The last two examples may suggest the
hypothesis that the cluster [rsh] is changed to [%], what would come
close to what Marie-Lucie Tarpent has suggested:  [sh] "/might have
undergone extreme retroflexion in the borrowing language, and then be
interpreted as a consonant involving the extreme back of the mouth, all
the way to the pharynx.  The development of the manner of articulation
and the glottal state of this new consonant could be secondary to that
of the new place of articulation./" In fact, some of the pharyngealized
vowels in Modern Udi (as well as in CA) probably stem from old */Vr/,
although the pharyngeal may likewise be original/old in other words.
However, the first example (CshVC > CV%VC) shows that the shift from
[sh] to [%] happened without the present of [r]. Naturally, we might
argue that here the shift has taken place in analogy to the process
[rsh] > [%]. But things become more difficult, if we consider some
original, that is 'Lezgian' CA words that contain [%] and that may have
cognate in Modern Udi containing [s'] (a dento-alveolar voiceless
fricative [a so-called 'middle sibilant']). The three (?) relevant pairs
do not argue in favor of the presence of *-rsh- in Pre-Udi/CA.
Unfortunately, the data are too few to prove that [sh] in the donor
language A is /systematically/ replaced by [%] in CA, but we do not have
counter-examples. So, we start from the hypothesis that the process is
quite 'regular' within the relationship between Language A (donor
language) and CA.
    Well, that's just to put my question into the corresponding context.
I will consider all your proposals in order to get closer to that puzzle
- I guess all of them will help.....
Best wishes, and many thanks again,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze
  *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München