Comet, Native American linguistic relations

jess tauber phonosemantics at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 05:14:09 UTC 2007

Have any of you seen this or related stories? http://www.livescience.com/animals/070521_comet_climate.html

The Yahgan have a myth about a giant rock crashing into and nearly destroying the world. I now hear that Hopi has something similar? Anybody else familiar with Native American mythology have anything to add in?

I have to say that, if this bears up to scrutiny, it will add an entirely new facet to understood causes of language death- perhaps explaining some of the odder distributional features of American languages genetically.

Jess Tauber
phonosemantics at earthlink.net