Comparing Diachronies (call for papers)

jfleischer at access.unizh.ch jfleischer at access.unizh.ch
Fri May 25 11:54:48 UTC 2007

Workshop as part of the 29th Annual Meeting of the German Society for
Linguistics (DGfS) at the University of Bamberg, Germany (27th-29th
February, 2008)

Organizers:
Jürg Fleischer (Humboldt-University Berlin)
Horst Simon (King’s College London)

Keynote speakers:
Bernd Heine (University of Cologne)
Giuseppe Longobardi (University of Trieste)

Assessing the relative importance of internal and external factors is of
paramount importance for any theory of language change. While it is the aim
of the study of internal factors to identify correlations between diachronic
developments belonging to different subsystems (e.g., loss of case
morphology entails fixation of word order), in studying external factors one
tries to establish the influence of language contact, normative settings,
etc. However, explanations of actual language change phenomena often stick
to their particular problems. Only rarely do researchers attempt at
generalizations that go beyond individual cases. Thus, in our view one
central question for any theory of language change is:
Couldn’t things have developed in an entirely different way?
Our workshop “Comparing Diachronies” tries to fill a gap: By comparing
various diachronic developments we hope to identify differences and
divergences that allow for generalizable insights with respect to the
functioning and implementation of linguistic change.
In this perspective, research topics such as the following become
interesting:
– In the history of English (similar in French), older tendencies to use
verb-second were given up, whereas in German the original tendency
eventually led to the generalization of verb-second in main clauses.
– In High German the tense system was reduced, whereas Low German reduced
its mood system.
– Only in High German do we find affricates, a class of phonemes foreign to
other West Germanic languages.
– In some Romance languages (e.g. Spanish), animate direct objects are
marked with the preposition normally used with indirect objects, a
development which is completely unknown in other Romance languages (e.g.
French).
– Punjabi and Marathi have reduced the original Indo-Aryan ergative marking
on some personal pronouns (Bengali and Sinhala have done so completely),
while in other languages (e.g. Hindi/Urdu and Nepali) these pronouns have
retained their ergative morphology.
– Some Nakh-Dagestan languages have a phoneme system with only three vowels
(e.g. Avar dialects), whereas others display as many as 33 vowels (e.g.
Chechen).

We invite contributions discussing language change phenomena of all
linguistic subsystems in a comparative perspective. Papers relating to
different dialects of a single language or to different languages of a
larger genetic entity are as welcome as work comparing developments in
unrelated languages. Contributions focusing on theoretical accounts or on
modeling language change are especially encouraged.

There will be talks in 30 and 60 minute slots, including discussion time.
Note that contributors can present only one paper at the DGfS Annual Meeting
as a whole. Conference languages are English and German. Please send an
anonymous abstract of max. 500 words, as a Word- or pdf- file, to

germlingconf at kcl.ac.uk

by Aug 20th, 2007.

Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent by email in September.

For further information please contact:
Jürg Fleischer <jfleischer at staff.hu-berlin.de> or
Horst Simon <horst.simon at kcl.ac.uk>