Final CFP: 'Dialects as a Testing Ground for Theories of Change?

Gunther De Vogelaer gunther.devogelaer at ugent.be
Tue Nov 27 10:46:55 UTC 2007

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS:
?Dialects as a Testing Ground for Theories of Change?

1-day session at Methods in Dialectology XIII
Leeds, UK, 04-Aug-2008 - 08-Aug-2008
Submission deadline: December, 1st, 2007 (Notification of acceptance
will be sent by January 20th, 2008)

DETAILED CALL
In recent years, historical linguists have highlighted the importance
of grammatical variation and variant spread for our understanding of
the fundamental mechanisms of linguistic change. Many approaches
distinguish between the emergence of novel variants vs. the selection
of variants in the course of speakers' use (cf., e.g., Weinreich,
Labov & Herzog's 1968 distinction between the 'actuation' and
'transition problem'). This is most obvious in evolutionary inspired
approaches. But the perhaps most central ingredient of a model for
linguistic change is still relatively little understood, and therefore
controversial: Which factors are responsible for variant selection and
spread? For instance, Croft (2000) assumes language-internal factors
to be relevant only for the emergence of novel variants, but variant
selection is claimed to be guided exclusively by social,
extra-linguistic factors. Others (Haspelmath 1999, Seiler 2005, De
Vogelaer 2006) have claimed that language-internal factors play a role
in variant selection, too.

It is our opinion that the study of dialect variation has the
potential to play a central role in the process of finding answers to
such fundamental questions (see Kortmann 2002, Horvath 2004, and
Filppula et al. 2005:vii for similar observations). There are several
reasons for this: First, dialects are relatively free of
standardization and therefore more tolerant against variant
competition in grammar. Second, variants gradually spread not only on
the temporal, but also on the spatial dimension. By a careful study of
subtle dialect differences in space we therefore might expect to
uncover the minimal differences of implementational steps that have
taken place in the course of linguistic history. Furthermore, we think
it is the right time for dialectologists to engage in debates on
variation and change since there are several large research projects
on dialect variation being conducted in a number of European countries
(cf. the recently launched website http://www.dialectsyntax.org/). The
following provides a (non-exhaustive) list of suggested research
questions:
-Which is the contribution of current linguistic theory for the
explanation of spatial variation and variant spread?
-Which is the contribution of dialect data for the further development
of theories of linguistic change?
-What are the driving forces of variant selection? Are these factors
social or linguistic?
-Is variation the result or the cause of change, or both?

In particular, we encourage papers adopting a dialect geographical
approach. Additional questions that emerge when taking a dialect
geographical approach have to do with the existence of transitional
zones, where competing variants co-occur. This poses a potential
problem for many models of grammar: what does the existence of
transitional zones mean for our modeling of linguistic competence,
i.e., can the linguistic competence of individuals living in
transitional zones best be described in terms of competing grammars,
the interaction of categorical rules or constraints, or do we need a
probabilistic model? Other relevant questions include the following:
-Do geolinguistic data provide evidence for and/or against particular
models of change?
-What can we conclude from the mechanisms of variant spread with
regard to our understanding of linguistic competence?
-Can we find a speaker-based explanation for the fact that some
variants spread at the expense of others?

Organizers
Gunther De Vogelaer (FWO Flanders / Ghent), Guido Seiler (Konstanz / Zurich)

Keynote speaker
William Labov (University of Pennsylvania)

Practical information:
The workshop is part of the Methods in Dialectology-conference. More
information concerning travelling, lodging etc. can be found on the
Methods XIII-homepage:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/english/methods.htm

Publication
Since it is our intention to publish a volume with papers from the
section, we will prefer unpublished research over papers presenting
data that have been published elsewhere.

Format
Presentations are allotted 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for discussion.
Abstracts should be as specific as possible, with a statement of
topic, approach and conclusions, and may be at most 400 words (not
including data and references, which may be placed on an optional
second page). Please submit your abstract anonymously as an email
attachment (only Microsoft Word or PDF formats) to Gunther De Vogelaer
(gunther.devogelaer at ugent.be) or Guido Seiler (gseiler at ds.unizh.ch).
The body text of the email message must contain the following
information:
(1) paper title
(2) name(s) of author(s)
(3) affiliation(s) of author(s)
(4) address where notification of acceptance should be sent
(5) phone number for each author
(6) email address for each author
(7) subfield (syntax, phonology, etc.)