Differentiating velar versus labial Dravidian voice derivations

Peter Hook peter.e.hook at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:56:27 UTC 2008

Hi Jess,

       Maybe an argument could be made for the analysis of some rhyming
stems in Hindi into some kind of phonaesthetic root (incorporating a
sonicizer?) plus a *velar* mobilizing suffix: *ph-aT-ak-naa *'smack, dash (X
onto Y)', *c-aT-ak-naa *'snap, crackle, pop; get angry', *kh-aT-ak-naa
*'rattle;
rankle', *jh-aT-ak-naa* 'jerk, jolt; shake off', *uc-ak-naa* 'be jerked up;
spring up', *ch-aT-ak-naa *'slip (from Z's grasp)', *s-aT-ak-naa *'slip
away, vanish; scoot over; thrash', *aT-ak-naa *'catch (on X); be
checked', *m-aT-ak-naa
*'make flirtatious gestures' *l-aT-ak-naa *'dangle, swing'.  But the more
examples one includes, the diluter the semantics!

All the best,  Peter

PS: Could you let me know the Haiman reference?  ("...according to Haiman,
different preferences for alliteration versus rhyming...")   Thanks.