vol 12/issue 2 - Sound replacement in loans

R=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=my Viredaz remy.viredaz at bluewin.ch
Tue Jan 15 00:24:57 UTC 2008

Dear Wolfgang,

After seeing the various contributions, my guess is rather near that of
Marie-Lucie Tarpent.

The shortest path from  sh  to the voiced pharyngeal stop seems to be:

- voicing at one stage or the other

- sh or zh develops to a retroflex and further to a velar fricative: to the
Spanish and Poitou/Vendée parallels one can add Swedish, where the sound
spelt as sj, stj, skj or sk (sk only before a stressed front vowl) was
taught as a retroflex  sh  in McClean, Teach Yourself Swedish, but is now a
sort of  x  as far as I can hear it occasionally on TV. (There is also *sh >
x in Slavic, but here  *sh  belongs to an unattested period.)
Retroflection of  sh  (with or without furtehr development to  x )
apparently occurs only in systems with three manners of sibilants or the
like: e. g. Spanish  z  (alveolar  s , today  interdental) :: apical  s  ::
hushing   x ; Swedish  ç  (palatal x, spelt kj, tj ; I don't know if today
it's a palatal  x  or a palatal  sh ) :: sh  (spelt sj etc. as above, but
obviously depalatalized for some time already) :: s.

- velar fricatives to pharyngeal fricatives : this is known in the
development from (unattested) Proto-Semitic to e. g. Hebrew, and from Arabic
to Maltese.

- voiced pharyngeal fricative to voiced pharyngeal stop: is this possible ?

However, that makes many changes, and all of these would have to have
occurred in the recipient language after the loans, rather than as
adaptations at the time of the loans. And any of them may be possible or
impossible depending on the rest of the consonant system, and, of course, on
what is already known of its historical phonology on the basis of comparison
with related languages.

Best wishes,

Rémy Viredaz
1, rue Chandieu