Glottopedia, the free online encyclopedia of linguistics

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Jan 25 07:22:32 UTC 2008

Dear HistLingers,

You may be interested in Glottopedia (http://www.glottopedia.org), the
free reference site for linguists by linguists.

Glottopedia differs from Wikipedia in that (i) its content is much more
specialized (e.g. you'll be able to find articles on items such as
"cryptanalysis", "syntacticization", "xenism", "rich agreement", "loan
translation", "adfix"), and (ii) users must have an account to edit
articles, and they must be linguists with an academic background.

Moreover, Glottopedia focuses on *dictionary articles* rather than
survey articles of the sort that are found in Wikipedia (and various
specialized linguistics handbooks). But each dictionary article
(protentially) provides more information than just a definition: It also
gives examples, synonyms, other meanings of the term, the origin of the
term, some key references, and a translation into other languages
(Glottopedia is a multilingual enterprise; so far there are articles in
English and German, but it is hoped that more languages will follow soon).

Glottopedia also has articles on linguists, but unlike Wikipedia, which
aims to restrict its articles to "notable people", Glottopedia
potentially has articles on all linguists. (However, Glottopedia's
articles on living linguists are restricted to links, in order to avoid
problems of personality rights.)

Eventually we also want to add articles about all languages and language
families (with detailed references), and articles about things that we
need for our everyday work (such as journals, conferences,
institutions), but at the moment this is mainly an idea for the future.

We feel that Glottopedia is a resource that the field of linguistics
really needs, and we hope that you will all contribute to it. Some of us
have taught courses in which the assignment to the students was writing
dictionary articles on some technical terms. We think that especially
advanced students, who do not have easy access to other forms of
publications, will find that Glottopedia gives them a great chance to
make a contribution to the field.

Martin Haspelmath

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)