Martin Huld ylfenn at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 02:11:42 UTC 2008

If you are seeking a way to connect 'dolphin and swine, have you thought of the possibility that both are derived from a third and distinct meaning?  I am referring specifically to the Greek set δελφίς ‘dolphin’, δέλφαξ ‘young pig, porker’ according to Liddell & Scott, ‘cochon de lait’ in Boisacq, but ‘Sau, Mutterschwein’ according to Frisk, and δελφύς ‘womb’.  The last, of course, is related to Av. gərəbuš ‘womb’ from a PIE *gwelbh-.  The porcine connexion with ‘womb’ is obvious; the farrow is recently emergent from the womb and the sow is a potent symbol of fertility in earlier cultures.  Though some suggest that the sleek curvature of the dolphin resembles a belly, I suspect that it is merely the ‘fish with a womb’ because though perfectly adapted to a marine environment, the dolphin is after all a mammal.  Is it possible that the Japanese and Ryukyuan both derive from a lost Proto-Japanese ‘womb’?  In which case, taboo may explain why the meaning ‘womb’ has been lost.

MEH