venue of ICHL 2011?

KIKUSAWA Ritsuko ritsuko at minpaku.ac.jp
Mon May 19 09:42:20 UTC 2008

Dear all,

We look forward to hosting the ICHL XX conference in Osaka, in 2011.  The
tentative dates we are looking at are July 25-30.  However, the confirmation
of the dates has to wait until after we determine and secure an appropriate
venue.

In finalizing the venue, I would like to ask potential participants for some
input.

I would like to host the conference in the famous National Museum of
Ethnology in Osaka, with which I am affiliated.  The Museum has an
auditorium (seating 400) and six seminar rooms of various sizes for public
use, as well as four seminar rooms (on a different floor) which are usually
reserved for academic meetings.  Hosting the conference using our own
facility would considerably reduce the total cost.  It would also provide an
opportunity for participants to wander around during breaks either in the
exhibition halls, or in the huge natural Park and Japanese Garden which
surround the Museum.  One possible drawback to holding it at the Museum is
the number of rooms available for parallel sessions.  It would probably be
realistic to keep the number of parallel sessions to five or six at the most
if we are to host it at the Museum.  I would like to know what kind of
response people have to this idea.  I am under the impression that some may
prefer a smaller number of parallel sessions to be able to move around
between sessions more easily.  I plan to go through the programs of past
conferences to determine whether a conference of the size of ours could be
successfully conducted with fewer parallel sessions than is customary.

An alternative is to host the conference at a convention center, or a hotel.
One of the advantages of hosting it in a hotel is that it would give an
option to many participants to stay close to the conference venue.  While if
it is held at the Museum, there would be some commuting from the places of
residence to the conference site.

We have just started to organize the committee to examine the details of the
conference, but the one strong request that I have received, and also I
would be happy to follow, is to organize the sessions by topics (rather than
by language family) so that we can have cross-language family discussion.
Everything else is still open, so any comments or suggestions that you have
would be most appreciated!

We look forward to welcoming you all in 2011.

Best regards,
Ritsuko Kikusawa

KIKUSAWA, Ritsuko Ph.D.
ritsuko at minpaku.ac.jp

Research Department, National Museum of Ethnology, Japan
Graduate University for Advanced Studies