Asymmetry in voiceless stop lenition

natacha at ucla.edu natacha at ucla.edu
Sun Dec 6 00:52:01 UTC 2009

Dear Eduardo:

High German Consonant Shift seems to show a similar asymmetry with
respect to place of articulation of voiceless stops. As part of the
shift, some voiceless dentals and labials became affricated, cf.
English ?two? - German Zwei and English ?pepper? - German Pfeffer.
Voiceless velars, on the other hand, were affricated only in a
restricted area; cf. English ?corn? - German Korn and English ?cat? -
German Katze. The failure of velars to undergo the change to the same
extent as dentals and labials is attributed to the chronology of the
shift, the assumption being that dentals were the first to undergo it,
labials next, and velars last. This pattern seems to match the
diachronic place of articulation asymmetry of voiceless stops in Karajá.

Best regards,
Natalie