masters: statistical approaches to historical linguistics/philology

Sheila Embleton embleton at yorku.ca
Wed Dec 9 11:27:25 UTC 2009

This is one of my long-standing areas of research, and I do not know of
such a course. There are of course some courses on statistics for
linguists at the graduate level, but I don't know of any devoted to such
approaches to historical linguistics. I do look forward to hearing from
others though -- I'd love to find that I'm wrong and that there IS a
course out there!

priamel at iname.com
Sent by: histling-l-bounces at mailman.rice.edu
12/08/2009 01:53 PM

histling-l at mailman.rice.edu
cc

Subject
[Histling-l] masters: statistical approaches to historical
linguistics/philology

Dear Histling,

Does anyone know of a Master's course (or similar) that covers statistical
approaches to problems in historical linguistics/philology in reasonable
depth (let's not worry about location to start off with)?  I've tried the
Internet and Internet-based course catalogues at some length and without
success so far, so may be asking the wrong question (or for something that
doesn't exist!)

I'll be very grateful for any information!

Howard

PS Since I'm approaching this from the statistical rather than linguistic
side, do feel free to put me right if I'm on the wrong list/asking a
Histling-l mailing list
Histling-l at mailman.rice.edu