WORKSHOP AT ICHL 20 - The Diachrony of Referential Null Arguments - Final Call

Silvia Luraghi silvia.luraghi at unipv.it
Tue Nov 16 09:46:35 UTC 2010

We are glad to announce that our workshop proposal for a workshop on:

  The diachrony of referential null arguments

has been accepted!  The workshop will take place at:

20 International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Osaka 25-30 July 2011
             (see http://www.ichl2011.com )

We received about ten abstracts and have some
space for a couple of other talks. We would like
to call attention especially on the diachrony of
referential null objects in non-IE languages, so
we encourage submission by colleagues who work on this or related topics.

The deadline for final submission is 15 January 2011
abstract must be submitted directly to the ICHL:
http://www.ichl2011.com/call_for_papers.html

Workshop description

Definite referential null arguments are
apparently one of the distinctive features of
non-configurational languages, see Baker (2001).
Even though descriptions are available for
various genetically unrelated languages, there
are little if any accounts of their diachrony.
Our workshop aims to bring together scholars
working on different language families and on
typologically different languages who are
interested in diachronic changes concerning the
creation or disappearance of null arguments, with
a focus on null objects or other types of null
arguments not coreferenced on the verb.
The rise of null objects deserves further
investigation. Null objects can be the result of
incorporation, wherebt object clitics become verb
affixes (Baker 2001). Related to incorporation is
the Hungarian objective conjugation, whose rise
is also a possible topic of discussion.
The occurrence of definite referential null
objects has been observed in many ancient
Indo-European languages. In spite of this, and in
spite of the long documented history of these
languages, even in their case historical accounts
are limited, as are detailed studies of the
conditions licensing null objects (Schäufele 1990
on Sanskrit; several studies have been devoted to
null objects in Old Icelandic, Sigurðsson 1993).
At least in Latin and possibly in Greek, null
objects seem to be obligatory in coordinated
sentences, unless emphasis or disambiguation are
involved (this is possibly a common phenomenon
connected to coordination reduction and frequent
in non-Indo-European languages as well, Luraghi
2004), as well as in answers to yes/no questions
(van der Wurff  1997). Descriptions of increasing
use of over objects in Latin and Germanic point
to increasing transitivity or emerging configurationality.

Papers presented at the workshop should aim to assess:
a) the relation between null objects and other
parameters of configurationality;
b) the relation of null objects to other null
argument, in particular to null subjects;
c) the relation between null objects and the
parameter of head/dependent marking (Baker 2001);
d) null objects and the grammaticalization of valency;
e) incorporation and the rise of null objects.

Papers should have a diachronic orientation;
research based on extensive corpora and
quantitative approaches to language change are especially encouraged.

References
Baker, Mark (2001), ‘Configurationality and
polysynthesis’, in M. Haspelmath, E. König, W.
Oesterreicher, W. Raible (eds.),  Language
Typology and Language Universals . An
International Handbook. Berlin/New York: Mouton
de Gruyter, vol. 2, pp. 1433-41.
Luraghi, Silvia 2004, ‘Null Objects in Latin and
Greek and the Relevance of Linguistic Typology
for Language Reconstruction’, in Proceedings of
the 15th Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, JIES Monograph 49, pp.234-256.
Schäufele, Steven (1990), Free Word-Order Syntax:
the Challenge from Vedic Sanskrit to Contemporary
Formal Syntactic Theory. Ph. D. dissertation,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Sigurðsson, Halldór A. (1993), ‘Argument-drop in
Old Islandic’.  Lingua 89, 247-280.
Wurff, Wim van der, 1994.  “Null objects and
learnability: The case of Latin”, Working Papers
of Holland Institute for Generative Linguistics 1/4.

>We look forward to seeing you in Osaka!

Silvia Luraghi and Dag Haug

Silvia Luraghi
Dipartimento di Linguistica Teorica e Applicata
Università di Pavia
Strada Nuova 65
I-27100 Pavia
telef.: +39-0382-984685