Study-Abroad, Undergraduate

Damien Hall djh514 at york.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 17:21:52 UTC 2010

> I'm an undergrad in
> Linguistics at McGill University, 2nd year, looking for a Uni with a good
> Historical Linguistics or PIE-centred undergrad program to which I can
> transfer for a semester abroad.

If the USA counts as 'abroad', Don Ringe at Penn is, of course,
world-renowned in exactly those fields. I have no idea whether they accept
undergraduate semester-abroad students, but it couldn't hurt to ask! I know
that (as a graduate student) I very much benefitted from Don's teaching,
and there is a steady stream of Historical Linguistics PhDs coming out of
Penn, so there's clearly a great programme there at at least that level.
Penn also has Tony Kroch and Beatrice Santorini, of course, who do (among
other things) historical corpus work, on Middle English for example, and I
know they have had undergraduate collaborators in that who have found the
work interesting enough to go on and do PhDs in it. If you were only there
a semester, you probably wouldn't get into it that deeply, but, again, it
wouldn't hurt to ask!

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK