idea for a workshop at next ICHL

M.T. Biberauer mtb23 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 14:54:15 UTC 2010

April McMahon (who I *think* supervised Marisa Lohr's PhD) had a project on
relevant aspects of this problem too. This ran 2001-2004 at the University
of Sheffield, UK - title: 'Quantitative Methods for Language
Classification', with Paul Heggarty, Rob McMahon and Natalia Slaska all
being researchers involved in the project. Natalia completed a PhD in 2006,
called "Meaning Lists in Lexicostatistical Studies: Evaluation,
application, ramifications". The abstract can be found here on the Linguist

http://linguistlist.org/pubs/diss/browse-diss-action.cfm?DissID=12760

(she's left Linguistics, though)

The project produced numerous publications, including a special edition of
the Transactions of the Philological Society (103(2) - "Quantitative
Methods in Language Comparison") and a 2005 OUP volume, "Language
Classification by Numbers", co-written by April and Rob McMahon.

April, who's now in Edinburgh, would probably be a good person to contact
in connection with others who have interests in this area.

All the best with this
Theresa

-- Dr Theresa Biberauer Senior Research Associate: Linguistics Department
Director of Studies: Corpus Christi, Lucy Cavendish, Magdalene, St Edmund's
and St John's Colleges Bye-Fellow in English and Linguistics: Downing
College Cambridge, U.K.

Senior Lecturer Extraordinary
General Linguistics Department
Stellenbosch University, South Africa

OFFICE: Room 145, Raised Faculty Building, Sidgwick Avenue
TELEPHONE: +44 1223 763062