/=?utf-8?Q?=CE=B8/_?=> /x/

Petros Karatsareas pk299 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 07:41:33 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I was wondering whether you are aware of cases of phonological change whereby a /θ/ would change into a /x/, as in the following examples found in a few Modern Greek dialects:

(1) 	Cappadocian Greek
	klo/θ/ara 'spindle'	> 	klo/x/ara 	(realised allophonically as [x])
	/θ/eliko 'female.N'	>	/x/eliko	(realised allophonically as [ç])

(2)	Cypriot Greek
	a/θ/asi 'almond'		>	a/x/asi	(realised allophonically as [x])
	/θ/elo 'I want' 		> 	/x/elo 	(realised allophonically as [ç])

I would be interested in considering relevant examples not only of diachronic change but also of synchronic bilingual speech effects.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration.

Petros Karatsareas

--

Petros Karatsareas
School Postdoctoral Student