/?/ > /x/

Pekka Sammallahti pekka.sammallahti at oulu.fi
Tue Apr 12 08:27:23 UTC 2011

Some westernomost dialects of North Saami (Uralic, in northern
Finland, Norway and Sweden) have undergone <th> > /h/ (as in
muo<th><th>á > muohhá/muohá 'younger maternal aunt'; orthographic á is
phonologically a double/long vowel). The /h/ is practically without
oral friction, though. In some subdialects it participates in grade
alternation (nom.sg. muohhá, nom.pl. muoháh) in others not (nom.sg.
muohá, nom.pl. muoháh).

Pekka Sammallahti