Histling-l Digest, Vol 48, Issue 4

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Tue Apr 12 18:41:43 UTC 2011

I think the ? is a replacement for "theta", "th" (dental or interdental
fricative), not a glottal stop.

Paul

On Tue, April 12, 2011 14:34, Guillaume Jacques wrote:

>> I was wondering whether you are aware of cases of phonological change
>> whereby a /?/ would change into a /x/, as in the following examples
>> found in a few Modern Greek dialects:
>>
>> (1)     Cappadocian Greek
>> klo/?/ara 'spindle'     >       klo/x/ara       (realised allophonically
>> as [x]) /?/eliko 'female.N'     >       /x/eliko        (realised
>> allophonically as [?])
>>
>> (2)     Cypriot Greek
>> a/?/asi 'almond'                >       a/x/asi (realised allophonically
>> as [x]) /?/elo 'I want'                 >       /x/elo  (realised
>> allophonically as [?])
>>
>> I would be interested in considering relevant examples not only of
>> diachronic change but also of synchronic bilingual speech effects.
>>

> In Arapaho (Algonquian), an initial h- is inserted at the beginning of
> any word starting with a vowel, though I am not sure whether a glottal
> stop intermediate stage is involved.
>
> For instance, proto-Algonquian *ameθkwa 'beaver' > hébes (compare for
> instance Ojibwe amik)
>
> See Ives Goddard 1974 (in IJAL, who omits the initial h- in the
> transcription since it is predictable; there are no words starting with a
> vowel in the language) and Marc Picard 1994.
>

> Same phenomenon in Hochank (or Winnebago, Siouan), h- is inserted in
> words starting with an initial short vowel e.g. proto-Mississippi Valley
> Siouan *is^tá > his^já 'face' (compare Lakhota is^tá 'eye'). cf. the
> unpublished Comparative Siouan Dictionary.
>
> Guillaume Jacques
>

> --
> Guillaume Jacques
> CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO
> http://xiang.free.fr
>

> http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/export_listeperso_xml.php?url_id=00000
> 00003849

Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Humanities
Department of English
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
and
Senior External Fellow
School of Linguistics and Literature
Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS)
Albertstr. 19
D-79105 Freiburg i.Br.
Germany