Histling-l Digest, Vol 48, Issue 4

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:17:56 UTC 2011

2011/4/12 Paul Hopper <hopper at cmu.edu>

> I think the ? is a replacement for "theta", "th" (dental or interdental
> fricative), not a glottal stop.
>
> Paul

You are right, I should have checked before sending my message.
For the change interdental fricative > h, here are some examples :

1. In Vannetais Breton, primitive breton <th> becomes h. For instance, 'old'
coth > koh in vannetais and koz in other varieties of breton (in orthography
kozh). See K. Jackson (I can look for the page numbers if you are
interested).

2. Old Irish <th> becomes h in modern Irish at least in some contexts (word
initially in lenited forms, among others).

GJ

--
Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO