The Effect of the Earthquake on the ICHL XX Venue

KIKUSAWA, Ritsuko ritsuko at minpaku.ac.jp
Mon Mar 14 12:51:06 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

The Conference Organizers of the 20th International Conference on
Historical Linguistics (ICHL XX) have been receiving messages showing
sympathies toward those affected by the earthquake that took place in
the Northern Japan on March 11, and would like to thank everyone for
their consideration.  We assure prospective participants that the
Osaka area is little affected by the incident (we are more than 1000
km away from the area where the disaster took place); on this side of
Japan, things have remained normal and airports and other public
transportations are functioning as usual.  We understand that the
situation in Tokyo is quickly getting back to normal as well.  We do
not see any reason why the conference has to be cancelled or relocated
at this point, and if you are wondering about what to do, please go
ahead and make plans to participate in the conference in Osaka.  If
you have any specific inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We appreciate the fact that so many people's thoughts are with us.
The Conference Organizers would like to also show deepest sympathies
toward those who live in the affected region.  We are hoping that the
disaster control and recovery in the Tohoku-Kantoh Area will be smooth
and effective.

Thank you very much and looking forward to welcoming you in Osaka in
July.

KIKUSAWA Ritsuko
Director, ICHL20 Organizing Committee

<Important Notice>
Due to the recent earthquake in the Tohoku area on March 11, 2011, the
Tokyo Electric Power Company has announced the possibility of
temporary power outages until full power can be restored to the
affected areas.  It is possible, therefore, that the ICHLXX website
may be temporarily out of service during the blackout. If you cannot
access the website, please try again after a few hours.

KIKUSAWA Ritsuko Ph.D.
National Museum of Ethnology, Japan
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies
ritsuko at minpaku.ac.jp

The 20th International Conference on Historical Linguistics,
to be held for the first time in Asia in July 2011.
See http://www.ichl2011.com/