Front rounded vowel question

Enrique L. Palancar epalancar at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:57:13 UTC 2011

Dear E-Ching, You may now this already, but I thought a precision about English was desirable as Middle English is often taken as being a unitary system. The Old English > Middle English unrounding from /y/ > /i/ only occurred in the Northern and East-Midlands dialects (in Kentish, the historical reflex is already found as /e/). In the city of London there was a great deal of variation, but eventually it was resolved to favoring the East Middlands pronunciation, with isolated words from other dialects, in spelling, pronunciation or both, e.g. - Kentish spelling and pronunciation: "merry", "knell"- Southern spelling, but East-Midlands pronunciation: "build", "busy"- Southern spelling, but Kentish pronunciation: in both the verb "to bury" and the stem in compounds such as "Canterbury"- Southern spelling and pronunciation, but unrounded to /u/: "lust" (the current pronunciation comes from an unrounding and lowering that happened later seen today in most dialects including the standard) or "worse" (with central vowel of a later period). Very best,Enrique