Front rounded vowel question

Alexander Vovin sashavovin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:42:45 UTC 2011

Middle Mongolian /y/ and /o"/ became /u/ and /IPA omega/ in modern
Khalkha Mongolian, Chuvash reflexes of proto-Turkic *y and *o" are
extremely complex, *y is preserved in few cases, but in most cases it
and *o" in all cases  are replaced by different vowels.

Alexander Vovin
Professor of East Asian Languages
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Manoa, USA
iustitiam magni facite, infirmos protegite