l vs. s, sh?

Pekka Sammallahti pekka.sammallahti at oulu.fi
Wed Mar 30 09:59:56 UTC 2011

Proto-Finno-Ugric *s was replaced by the voiceless dental spirant *th
(can't use the proper symbol) in Proto-Ugric and this was replaced by
the voiceless dental lateral *L in Hanti/Ostyak. Its reflexes in
present Hanti dialects are L-, j- and t-.

Pekka Sammallahti
PhD, Professor emeritus of Saami Language
Giellagas Institute
University of Oulu
Finland