l vs. s, sh?

Dworkin, Steven dworkin at umich.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:13:33 UTC 2011

The Latin clusters [pl-]. [kl-] and on occasion [fl-] evolved in Old Portuguese to an voiceless palatal affricate represented by <<ch>> which later underwent deaffrication and became the unvoiced palatal sibilant of modern Portugese.  The original affricate articulation is still preserved in some northern dialects. It is also possible that the palatal affricate was the original result of these Latin clusters in Hispano-Romance.
Steve Dworkin