Query on the development typology of non-canonical/quirky/oblique subjects or subject-like obliques

Peter Hook peter.e.hook at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:41:54 UTC 2012

Dear Ilja,

Modern Indo-Aryan provides a good example of a large family of languages
(hundreds of members) which all have "non-canonical/quirky/oblique subjects
or subject-like obliques".  There is some evidence for their existence in
"Classical" [= epic and scholastic] Sanskrit, perhaps as a reflection of
the Middle Indic or Dravidian languages which were the mother tongues of
Sanskrit writers / speakers of those more recent times. But evidence for
the subjecthood of oblique (especially dative-cased) experiencers in their
earliest attested ancestor, Vedic Sanskrit, is wanting. You may want to
consult the online papers by Hans Hock and the references in those papers
to earlier work:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XCarNNGmOMYC&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=Hock+%22experiencer+subjects%22&source=bl&ots=bL9Y7FTgbo&sig=LkFm8xBw-mC-CgaxA4VyG3sKtJE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=veyCT_HLDKnE0QGD_p3XBw&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Hock%20%22experiencer%20subjects%22&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=JuauYrzc0MUC&pg=PR7&lpg=PR7&dq="Possessive+Agents+in+Sanskrit?"&source=bl&ots=emOO2bRUB7&sig=sojPnHnFE_teQwv0FnqyRe8p7c4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5PCCT-a5G4Ho0QGlyuTsBw&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q="Possessive
Agents in Sanskrit%3F"&f=fals

Peter Hook