Histling-l Digest, Vol 68, Issue 2

Lameen Souag lameen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:38:08 UTC 2012

In many modern Arabic varieties, final short vowels are preserved only
in personal pronouns.  For example, in Algerian Arabic (compared to
Classical):

'anta > nta "you m. sg."
'anti > nti "you f. sg."
huwa > huwwa "he"
hiya > hiyya "she"

vs.

kataba > ktəb "he wrote"
'ayna > win "where"
'amsi > yaməs "yesterday".

(Most final short vowels were case/mood markers, but in all three of
these examples they were invariant and obligatory in Classical
Arabic.)

I'm not aware of any work on this, but I assume it relates to
frequency and functional load.

Regards
Lameen Souag