Borrowed word order in phrases

Bernd Heine Bernd.Heine at uni-koeln.de
Sat Dec 14 22:59:43 UTC 2013

Dear Eduardo,
Here are more observations on your two questions. There is a wide range
of data on your first question, namely the "borrowing" (or replicating
as I would say) of a phrasal word order, see the paper attached: It is
widely attested and hence fairly uncontroversial, even if the enitre
range of motivations triggering this change is still not really clear.
There is less conclusive evidence on your second question, namely
whether, or how a replicated pattern expands, and eventually becomes the
new default word order.  The case of Guernésiais, the Norman dialect of
Guernsey Island, may offer some clues to that (Heine 2008: 55-6; Jones
2002: 156; see the paper attached for these references). For good
reasons, this case is actually opposite to the one you mention in that a
pattern of post-nominal modification may gradually be replaced by
pre-nominal modification as a result of language contact.
With best wishes,
Bernd

Am 14.12.2013 21:59, schrieb Koka:
> Dear Eduardo,
>
> A recent account of the word order "Nada sé" (as opposed to "No sé
> nada") in Spanish by Octavio de Toledo attributes this word order to
> Latin influence. You can check the paper (in Spanish) out here
> (https://www.academia.edu/2552836/Entre_gramaticalizacion_estructura_informativa_y_tradiciones_discursivas_algo_mas_sobre_nada_).
>

> Hope it helps!
>
> Carlota
>
> > Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:09:15 -0500
> > From: kariri at gmail.com
> > To: etnolinguistica at yahoogrupos.com.br; histling-l at mailman.rice.edu;
> LINGTYP at listserv.linguistlist.org
> > Subject: [Histling-l] Borrowed word order in phrases
> >
> > [apologies for cross-posting]
> >
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > I'm looking for examples of languages where certain (types of) phrases
> > present a different, borrowed word order when compared to a more
> > common, inherited type. Well-known examples are, in English, legal
> > terms in which the adjective follows the noun, preserving the original
> > Norman French order: "attorney general", "court martial", etc.
> > (Jespersen 1912:87-88).
> >
> > Are you aware of similar examples from other languages? And of cases
> > in which the borrowed order, originally limited to borrowed lexemes,
> > ended up becoming the default usage?
> >
> > I would appreciate any insights and bibliographic references on this
> topic.
> >
> > Obrigado,
> >
> > Eduardo
> >

> > --